Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mental Health Day

I'm taking a mental health day today and it is marvelous. Marc has taken the children up to DC to visit his family and I got to stay home ALL ALONE!!

What bliss. The house is silent, except for the noise that I make. I don't have to make meals if I don't feel like eating. I don't have to answer anyone's questions, adjudicate any disagreements or even be nice to anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my family and I love homeschooling, but sometimes I become overwhelmed. I'm a loner who for the last 7 years has been surrounded by 2 other people 24/7. I generally manage my life so that my needs are met, but the addition of 2 puppies, night after night with no sleep and then a summer cold managed to bring me to my knees.

Marc, that King among men, suggested that I take today off while he took the children to see his family. They've only been gone for 5 hours and I already feel slightly rejuvenated.

My parents are coming to visit us from South Africa in September. I am hoping that Marc and I will be able to disappear for a little couple's time while they are here. I'd love to go to Charlottesville with Marc. I love that town. There is something very calming and rejuvenating about it. Hopefully my mom will love the idea of having the grandkids to herself for a few days while we spend some quality couple time together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I *LOVE* those days!! Brian does that for me every once in a while and it is wonderful. He does one thing, every summer, that makes me love him for an entire year -- he takes the kids to his parents for the *entire weekend* of our homeschool currciulum fair! I get to go shop, hang out with friends, have dinner with friends (or by myself) and come and go as I please without worrying about doing anything for anybody. It's the most wonderful weekend...and it makes me a better mom.

Enjoy your day!

Michelle said...

I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your day, Shez. Vic takes the kids from time to time for the weekend, and did this weekend as well. He brings them to our little cabin.

It is so relaxing and refreshing to have time for yourself, to get a lot of things done, or do nothing at all. It is truly invigorating. Enjoy!

Barbara Frank said...

Good for you! Some homeschooling moms think they can't let their kids out of their sight....they're prime candidates for burnout. Glad you're getting some time alone.

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)