Monday, August 4, 2008

Oy vey!

I didn't realize that dog ownership was so complex. I am reading up a storm on feeding your animals raw meaty bones. I've read enough to be convinced that commercial dog food is junk food for animals so now I have to get over my life long squeamishness and handle dead animal in the name of "doing what is best for the pets".

I am also reading up a storm on how to train dogs. A friend suggested that I read Jan Fennell's books. She's the woman they call, "the dog listener". Her books are fascinating. I'm learning how to be an alpha bitch. No comments from the peanut gallery now. I know that some have always thought I have that role down pat.

I am amazed at how quickly the pups are responding to me being the alpha dog. I am spending today working on them coming to their names and on the children understanding how to train their puppies.

A friend asked me why on earth we got two puppies at once. I had to think about it a bit and then I realized that Marc and I are thoroughly conditioned to think in twins. We didn't even think of only getting one dog, in our world kids come in pairs, and so should dogs.

Shira changed her mind about her dog when we arrived at the breeder yesterday morning. She fell in love with a little chocolate doxiepoo (that's a dachshund/poodle mix). Hershey is the funniest little pup. Her legs are so short that she trips over blades of grass. Yesterday we were convinced that Ben's Archimedes was a timid dog. One night disillusioned us. He's as crazy as his owner.

Marc and I are severely sleep deprived. Hershey does not appreciate being in the crate and she cried for 40 min each time she went back in the crate. It wasn't so bad at 10pm but at 3am it was brutal. Hopefully she'll get used to the crate soon. So far we've had no accidents. She woke me up at 3am to take them outside for a potty break.

Pics to follow soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

They sound adorable! I hope it doesn't take as long with the twin pups as it did with the twin kiddies to get your rest and routine down! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am lol at the mental picture of you in your alpha role. ;-) It took our Peanut *forver* to get used to sleeping in his crate at night, even involving me putting him, crate and all, in the basement several night. No, I don't practice attachment dog ownership. I tried, really I did, but eventually the need for sleep won out.

Anonymous said...

It does get better, but my 7 month puppy still sometimes cries at night! Ouch! But we went to a talk by Jan Fennell at the weekend - it was very interesting. She is really lovely - and very down-to-earth!!