Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fury Over Cat Eating Festival



I found this article in The Sun very amusing and perplexing.
ANIMAL rights groups are up in arms over an annual festival in Peru that serves up hundreds of fried CATS to locals.
The 'Gastronomical Festival of the Cat' – dubbed the 'Massacre of the Moggies' – sees townsfolk in Canete, near Lima, feast on the fluffy pets for two days.

I have never been able to understand why meat eaters get all bent out of shape when other meat eaters eat cute and furry animals. If you are going to kill an animal for it's food, surely any animal will do? Just because it has cute eyes, is soft and cuddly and purrs shouldn't make it off limits.

I can understand the Peta types being upset over this cat festival as they manage to become upset over just about everything, but I truly do not understand how the average burger eating Joe can become upset over eating cats and dogs.

4 comments:

Cerwydwyn said...

Several years ago there was a move to introduce mustang hunts in the west as the horses are overpopulating. I was on a wild horse discussion list at the time and had a long discussion in which I attempted to logically argue for the hunt whilst being attacked and insulted by some crazy cow eater because horses do not 'deserve' to be killed...cows do?
I agree with you. Not that I'm planning on eating a cat. But I should. I should. We currently have 13 of them.

Shez said...

I'm with you. What's wrong with eating horses and not cows. It's like the people who get their knickers in a knot over hunting and yet eat factory farmed meat. How you can compare a humane shot to the inhumanity of factory farming and consider factory farming better, I have no idea.

Shell said...

I'm all for soilent green, personally. I can't for the life of me understand polluting the earth with body boxes. ;o)

Shez said...

LOL Shell. I want to be buried in one of those eco cemeteries. I'd prefer just to be put in the ground and a tree put on top of me, but that isn't legal. I used to think cremation was the way to go until I read about the pollution they generate. Cannot understand the whole burial industry. why waste so much money on a casket, headstone and cemetery space?