Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Carnival of Cool Homeschoolers - Inaugural Edition

Welcome to the March 17, 2008 edition of carnival of cool homeschoolers.







Lydia presents Colonial Williamsburg and Home Educator Week posted at Little Blue School
Lydia shows how a simple field trip can be taken out of the ordinary and turned into an extraordinary experience by the application of a tiny bit of creativity.

Renae reflects on the need for nature in her and her son's lives>The Barefoot Boy posted at Life Nurturing Education.

Mark Monaghan links to a very thought provoking video that shows us how tough our job is going to be to ensure that our children are competitive on the global stage The need for eLearning posted at eLearning

While I agree that the figures are alarming, I am not convinced that Mark's answer is the correct one. I think that to truly make our children competitive on the world stage we should help them become truly creative thinkers. I'm not convinced that computers are the be all and end all in education.

Tea Party Girl's submission ties in well with Mark's.
she writes a very provocative post about why she will train her daughter to hire servants. I completely agree with her on this topic. I see my job as a homeschooling mother to educate my children so that they can earn far more by the labor of their minds than the labor of their bodies.

If we do not pay attention to the figures in Mark's post and think of ways to help our children be globally competitive, they may end up being the people who do the cleaning.


Laura over at We Don't Buy It talks about the importance of make believe violence in her post.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I struggle with how our culture has become obsessed with not allowing our children to have any form of play that might remotely be construed as being violent. I've had moms who I respect be upset because my children have a water gun and a sabre.

Laura writes:"Jones started out his talk speaking about kids playing super heroes and rescuing and how this type of play allows kids to feel more powerful than they really are in their lives. It allows them to be in charge and have mastery over objects and ideas. Then, what if your kids are the monsters? Yes, what then?! Well, as he said, you can't play good guys and bad guys, if you don't have bad guys. And this is where nice, normal kids are trying out the things they will never be. THEY'RE PRETENDING!!" Thank you Laura for this very important post.

I want to live at Tracy's homeschool. Her children get to spend days as Thing 1 and Thing 2 and they get to host spy camps. Dr. Seuss Was On The Loose posted at So Much Fun We Don't Know We're Learning.

Rose is a homeschooler after my own heart. She has a great rant about how her children don't learn because she is an "uncredentialed teacher" An Uncredentialed Day posted at Learning at Home.

My son Ben, thanks Dana for this submission. We plan on spending a fun afternoon playing with the circuit she describes Principled Discovery Saturday School: Make your own simple circuit posted at Principled Discovery.


Not June Cleaver over at
These go to Eleven
rants about the importance of allowing children to play. Cool mom that she is, she sees no problem with children running on the top of the hay bales that make a maze, rather than running in the maze. Her children are not going to be consigned to inside the box. Way to go!


Kris at Paradise Found
tracked down a book to teach her son how to build an underwater robot.


Wendy over at Contentment Acres is one of those strange moms who actually allows her children to play in mud puddles.

Chris over at A Mountain Homeschool talks about the importance of making time for culture in your homeschool.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shez. Nice carnival. I saw the link and came over to take a look. BTW, we have talked in person and via email (regarding volunteering for the conference last summer). Small world. Nice to find your blog.

Andrea R said...

It was also so nice to see so many blogs from homeschoojournal.net included too, so thanks. :)

( I run HSJ. ;) )

Anonymous said...

Hi ~ thanks for the link! And for lumping me in with a bunch of cool homeschoolers!

jewellspring said...

Thanks, Shez, for including my article and hosting this inaugural carnival. I hope there are many more to come! Good work, I look forward to perusing these.

Lydia Netzer said...

GREAT carnival! I do hope you plan to keep it small so I can keep reading all the posts! I also like your editorializing. :)

Shez said...

Thanks for the comments. Good to see another VA Homeschooler volunteer. VA Homeschoolers is a great organization and the only way it can remain so is if we, the homeschoolers in VA volunteer to keep it going.

Lydia, my plan is to keep it between 10 and 20 entries an edition. I'd like to have a combination of interesting activities to do with our children and thought provoking and perhaps controversial articles.

I was very excited when I found Tea Party Girl's blog. After Shira came home from Co-op in tears because the tea party re-inactor did not arrive, I promised to do a tea party for her and her friends.

I grew up with Sunday afternoon tea parties so I know most of the drill but I didn't know all the finer details. I've been loving reading about all the ins and outs of tea drinking.

I think I am going to invite the girls from the book club and give them a tea lesson and tea party. It will be a hoot.

Cerwydwyn said...

Shez! I went out to an antique store and bought a teapot with 6 wee little cups for a tea party for the girls. Maybe we can have a joint effort tea party for the last day of class or something? What do you think? I haven't gotten as far as you have in learning the rules and etiquette but was planning on doing so. We have food issues: Shira, you know; Abigael who cannot have any tree nuts, peanuts, dairy or egg. I was thinking of having a tea party at the houseboat, rather than in class but think we might have a better turnout in class...I'm assuming you'll share you tea party with me :-)

Shez said...

Tina, I'd love to work with you to do a tea party. I didn't want to impose on your class, that's why I told shira we could do something at home, but if you want to do it in class, I am game. Or, we could walk them over to my home and do it in my dining room. That might be easier.

momof3feistykids said...

You did a great job with this! Thanks.

Chris said...

Shez,
Thanks for the link! I've enjoyed the new Carnival and reading your blog. I noted it at my blog here. . .

http://mountainhomeschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/carnival-of-cool-homeschoolers.html

Laura said...

Thanks Shez for including me in this.

I'm off to check out everyone else's blogs and their interesting ideas. They seem like a bunch of like-minded people. People who let their kids play in mud puddles are all right with me!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for hosting this carnival and for including my entry. You did a great job!

Can I make a small comment about hiring servants? Cleaning can be a lucrative business. I earn as much money per hour cleaning houses as many professionals. I bless others, and get paid to exercise. ;)

Shez said...

Renae, thanks for your kind compliments. I agree that cleaning can be a lucrative business. I just want my daughter to have the resources to choose whether to do her own cleaning or not.

Anonymous said...

This article was served up by google to me when i searched on "homeschool blogs inauguration".

I'm recruiting comments from people on what they are doing in terms of homeschool education to capitalize on the inauguration.

Even as a child, I found the transfer of power awe inspiring. I remember vividly the few times in my life when the transfer was not as democratic and rule-based as we would like it to be.

How does all this fit into your thoughts and homeschool program?