Sunday, July 6, 2008

Contest at Twinkling Stars Family School

Makita over at Twinkling Stars Family School has started a weekly contest
Share your best lesson you have learned about homeschooling. And do it in 13 words or less. Think of it as 13 word Friday. Just as every homeschooler has a story, I know every homeschool parent has a lesson learned about teaching ones children at home. Some learned easier than others - but all helpful to share.

This week's prize is $5 gift card to a teacher store of YOUR CHOICE.

Here's my entry

If my child doesn't understand, it's my fault, not hers.

I've come to realize that when my children develop a blank look or become frustrated because they don't understand a concept, the reason is never because the child lacks the intellectual or developmental readiness, it is always because I haven't worked out how to communicate the concept in such a way that it makes sense to the child.

Once I realized that I was the one who had to reformulate my thinking or explanation, not the child who had to pay better attention, I became far more patient and school became easier.

When we start working with new material, I now always remind my children that if they don't understand something, they must stop me and say, "Mommy, you are not explaining this correctly. Please start again.". If they do this, I thank them profusely and then apologize. I remind them that the fault is mine, not theirs and we start again.

This reformulating of the problem has empowered Ben and Shira and made all our lives easier.

No comments: