Monday, May 26, 2008

Damning video on the state of math education

University of Washington professor, Cliff Mass, talks about the effects of fuzzy math on his students. Math education is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I'm an old fashioned mom who believes that her children need to obtain mastery of all their arithmetic functions. There's no such term as "drill and kill' in my lexicon. I've seen how my children develop an ease with their arithmetic as their skill levels improve.

Watch the video, it's time well spent

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. Sadly I doubt the problem is on in Washington State! I can't wrap my brain around the screwy math the public schooled teenage children of some of my friends are faced with. And in their struggle, they loose valuable self-esteem and motivation to learn.