Saturday, June 7, 2008

Are you an overachieving homeschooler?

I found this quiz on Deborah Marcus' Secular Homeschooling

My score was 33 which apparently means that I am:

Getting there. You generate a respectable amount of resentment, but the animosity you and your brilliant brood inspire is purely localized.


The quiz is extremely funny, do it just for the fun of the questions.

However, this brings me to a topic near and dear to my heart, the concept of the overachiever.

I wish I knew why people who do well are considered overachievers. I've been accused of being one my entire life, as has my husband. So called, "overachievers", are by and large people who do their best at everything they do. The average person apparently can't stand this so they came up with a slur to try to make it sound as if people who achieve are somehow psychologically unsound. it drives me crazy, totally and utterly crazy.

There is nothing wrong with mediocrity, but please, accept that you want to be mediocre and enjoy it. Let those of us who like to do everything to the best of our abilities also just enjoy it. We don't create slurs for the mediocre or underachievers, so please let us be.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I got a 27. More power to those who choose to do as much as they can with what they have to the best of their abilities. If everyone was a rocket scientist, who'd clean out the trash cans over flowing with their scratch paper?! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I got a 30 so I am in good company.

I've never considered myself an overachiever. I like to think that I have a strong work ethic. If I'm going to do something I am going to do it right.

Shez said...

Danielle, I don't think that doing everything to the best of your abilities makes you a rocket scientist. it just makes you the best you can be. Even if you are a garbage man, you still need to do it to the best of your abilities.

MLD, I agree, I never considered myself an overachiever, others used it as an insult. I'm like you, if i am going to do something, I am going to do it right. I've seen your sewing, you certainly live by that rule.

Cerwydwyn said...

"Let those of us who like to do everything to the best of our abilities also just enjoy it. We don't create slurs for the mediocre or underachievers"

--This cracked me up. Thanks for the early morning laugh...wait, it's 9:03 am! I'm a mediocre underachiever, not that those are slurs but this is (directly off the test and I did have to check this answer...):
Yes, honey, you're right — Mommy shouldn't have said that, even if the other driver did cut her off. Umm...can anyone think of another word that begins with the letter A?"
I scored a 31 but I think that means that I fell right in the middle. There are still a lot of people who can't stand to be around me though ;-)

Anonymous said...

LOL!
I scored 28.
Not bad, eh?

(but to be honest, my answers weren't there, so I had to chose the closest to waht I would really do.