Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dewey's Treehouse: Carnival of Homeschooling #130: Homesick Campers' Edition

Have a gander at a fun Carnival of Homeschooling at Dewey's Treehouse. Anne gave it a fun, summer camp theme.

One post that had me shaking my head was, The Daily Planet's post about Ben Stein's movie, "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed". She writes:
One thing I do know about science, though, is that the Creation vs. Evolution debate is one that is more prevalent than ever! Though it may not seem like a big issue, it is. I have noticed that we don’t hear too much about the battle that is going on behind the scenes and that is because they don’t want you to.

Debate? There is debate? The mind boggles that people can truly believe that science can debate mythology. Everyone is welcome to their beliefs, even if they are not based in reality, but please, don't attempt to dignify them by actually trying to think they can debate with science.

Let's Play Math reminded me of a math game I played with my father all the time. I've just spent a happy half an hour playing it with Ben and Shira.

As always, the carnival is chock full of interesting articles.

3 comments:

Benjamin Franklin said...

hi there-

I read your post and it brings to mind something I read by Philip E. Johnson, who is known as the "father of the Intelligent Design movement".

He said-

"This isn't really, and never has been a debate about science. It's about religion and philosophy."

and

"Our strategy has been to change the subject a bit so that we can get the issue of intelligent design, which really means the reality of God, before the academic world and into the schools."


You and Johnson are right. There is no debate about the science.

Unknown said...

It always amazes me how things end up in one camp vs another. Why can't it be both? Some magnificent combination of both that our understanding of life and science and God simply can't define or comprehend. Life is not black and white. There is no one way to do anything, and yet this so-called-debate continues to distract folks from paying attention to things that are perhaps more important.

therealkimaliczi said...

Hey Shez - the more you study the science behind evolution, the less creation looks like mythology. I'm just sayin'... ;-)