Friday, June 20, 2008

More Art

Art features strongly in our homeschool. Currently Ben and Shira are taking a drawing class at Olde Towne Art. Here is a sample of their work.


I spoke about the teacher who will be coming to our home to give Ben and Shira lessons. Here is some of the work they have done with her.
Ben's seascape

Shira's seascape

Shira's frolicking dolphins.

Ben's dolphins.


I may leave the real art to the art teachers, but I do more than my fair share of crafts with the kids. This last weekend we made plaster tape Egyptian masks. Shira loved it but Ben complained bitterly about having to sit still while the plaster tape dried and he lost interest in the mask as soon as it was off his face. Shira, on the other hand, had a grand time painting it, even if no Egyptian death mask was ever painted in these colors.

Preparing to apply the plaster tape. We used Saran wrap instead of vaseline. It made clean up so much easier.

Waiting for the tape to dry.

The finished item

8 comments:

Lynne said...

I love the Egyptian death mask project. I'm going to have to remember that (and your Saran Wrap tip)for this year when we study ancient history (again).

Good stuff.

Shez said...

Which ancient history program do you use? I've decided to use Scot Powell's program (http://www.historyatourhouse.com/). The kids and I did a trial earlier this year and we were most impressed. He is a gifted teacher and more importantly, he takes pains to introduce the information hierarchically. I like that I am supporting a fellow Objectivist in a new business endeavor.

Lynne said...

Yay! My daughter, who will be 10 next week, has been learning history with Scott Powell for 2 years now (full program - live phone lectures). I just can't say enough about the program - she loves it and has learned so much in the last two years. He's a really good teacher.

My husband has also been taking history with Scott Powell this year and loves it too.

Lydia Netzer said...

Hmm. Ben's dolphins appear to be holding martini glasses. Not that there's anything wrong with that.... ;D Lovely seascapes. And Shira's death mask looks positively cheerful! :)

Shez said...

LB, I am so glad to hear that your daughter enjoys Scott's lectures. We're also going for the live lecture option.

Lydia, yes, Ben's dolphins do look funny. It was tough keeping a straight face when Shira showed me her mask.

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

wonderful paintings and masks
Jen

Shez said...

Thanks Jen. You are always so generous with your comments about our homeschool journey.

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful!
I'm especially impressed with Ben's dolphins.

And this post reminds me... I wanted to post some of Lizzy's art to my blog.